About Girmitiya Conference
The Girmitiya Conference aims to trace the history of girmitiya, their memories about home/land, in-betweenness, diaspora consciousness and lives, and experiences in new cultural surroundings. It will create dialogues between scholars from different disciplines to:
- Provide global platform to researchers and academicians to explore the possibilities of gap in girmitiya migration.
- Endorse a multidisciplinary forum to discuss the colonial expansion behind the exploitation of labor.
- Address the need and solutions to safeguard the tangible and intangible heritage of girmitiya community.
- Maximize the global efforts in abolishing the different forms of labor exploitation and its repercussions.
- Understand the deep relationship between mass displacement of people in the name of ‘great experiment’ of indenture labor migration and its relevance for the present day.
- Study the relevance of socio-cultural, political, and economic conditions in shaping labor migration and settlement in past and present scenario.
- Understand the impact of migration and coercive labor forms on women’s agency.
- Envisage the social and psychological cost of migration on left behind communities.
|Fest Title||International Conference on The Saga of Girmitiya Migration: Re-engaging the Homeland, Culture, History and Memory|
|Organizer||Manipal University Jaipur (MUJ)|
|Venue||Jaipur, Rajasthan, India|
Highlights of the Girmitiya Conference
- e-Conference (Hybrid Mode)
- Best paper presentation award
- Best research paper award
- Selected quality papers (after blind review) will be published in Routledge, Springer & Sage’s SCOPUS / Web of Science / UGC CARE (Group I) Indexed Journals
- Opportunity to publish chapter in edited books with Palgrave Macmillan UK, Taylor & Francis Routledge, and other publication houses
Last date of Abstract Submission: January 15, 2022
Notification of Abstract Acceptance: February 01, 2022
Last Date of Full Paper Submission: March 15, 2022
Conference Date: April 27 – 29, 2022
The Registration to this Conference is mandatory and following are the registration fee details:
|Join Telegram Group||Click Here|
|Conference Official Website||Click Here|
|University Website||Click Here|
|Check Other Events||Click Here|
Address & Contact details
Department of Languages, Manipal University Jaipur, Dehmi Kalan, Off Jaipur-Ajmer Expressway, Jaipur, Rajasthan – 303007, India